Kristen Yarger Memorial Scholarship
Sponsored by: Springfield Human Resource Management Association (SHRMA)
The Springfield Human Resource Management Association (SHRMA), is a progressive and professional organization established to provide a means for the exchange of ideas and the discussion of problems common to human resource administration. Our organization strives to encourage and improve the operating standards of performance in the human resource profession. We are committed to educating our members to better understand current human resource issues. As a part of this educational process, SHRMA strives to provide educational and real-world opportunities to young people who would like to pursue a career in the human resources field. Our organization would like to assist students in the pursuit of a human resource career by making scholarships available.
Toward this end, a scholarship fund was created in 1990 and renamed in memory of Kristen Yarger in 1996. During her tenure as an active member of SHRMA, Kristen served as Education Chair for several years and was instrumental in reestablishing connections between SHRMA and Cedarville University. Kristen’s goal was to instill in students a love and professionalism of human resources as a career. Kristen spearheaded the scholarship fund and was influential in establishing criteria for the scholarship. Thus, is it only fitting that we dedicate this award in her memory. Up to three (3) scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each may be awarded to students who are pursuing a career in Business, Organizational Development, Organizational Design or Human Resources Management. The recipients will receive this one-time scholarship amount at one of the monthly SHRMA meetings. The check will be made payable to the recipients and their respective institutions.
Criteria for Applicants
Scholarship candidates must meet all of the following:
- Currently attending or scheduled to attend Cedarville University, Wittenberg University, Clark State College, Urbana University, Wright State University, or University of Dayton;
- Pursuing a curriculum for a career in Business, Organizational Development, Organizational Design, or Human Resource Management;
- GPA of 3.0 or better
Application and Supporting Documents
Scholarship candidates must submit the following items:
- Current official or unofficial transcript;
- Typed essay (maximum two pages) describing why you would like to receive the scholarship. Describe career plans and goals you have set for yourself. Human Resources experiences should be included. You may also include information that addresses the need for financial assistance;
- One instructor recommendation and one personal recommendation - the letters should address class attendance, class participation, and academic achievement, integrity, and ethics, among other things.
Click Here to Submit Your Application and Supporting Documents.
All 2022 applications must be received by February 28, 2022
For any questions, please contact Lynn Geist, Education Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.